Uninsured/Underinsured Accidents in Colorado


All drivers in Colorado are required to carry auto insurance coverage in the event of a car accident. Unfortunately, many people throughout the state either carry the bare minimum coverage or none whatsoever. 

According to state law, the following are the minimum coverages: 

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person 

  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death per accident 

  • $15,000 for property damage per accident 

So, what happens if you are injured in a crash caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist in Colorado? It depends if you have uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. 

All insurance carriers must offer UM/UIM coverage to you when you buy a policy. Consumers can refuse to purchase this coverage by writing a refusal. 

The minimum amounts are $25,000 per person for UM/UIM and $50,000 per accident for UM/UIM. This coverage cannot exceed maximums permitted under your primary liability coverage. 

UM/UIM coverage works by filling the gap between the at-fault driver’s insurance and your losses in a collision. For example, let’s say that you suffered $50,000 in damages from a crash and the other driver has no insurance. Fortunately, you have $50,000 in UM coverage, which means your losses are covered in full under your policy. 

When it comes to underinsured drivers, for instance, let’s say you have $100,000 in damages from a collision and the other driver’s policy limit is a maximum of $50,000. You will be able to collect the full $50,000 from the at-fault driver’s insurer and your UIM coverage will provide the remaining $50,000 in damages, which means you will be covered in full. 

While it is not mandatory to purchase UM/UIM coverage, basic liability insurance will not cover you if the other driver doesn’t carry insurance. You may attempt to file a personal injury lawsuit against an uninsured or underinsured motorist to recover your entitled compensation, but do not expect to garner such a significant haul because such drivers generally do not have a lot of assets, especially since they cannot obtain adequate insurance coverage. 

When you file a claim with your own insurer, you expect insurance adjusters to look out for your best interests. Yet, they often try to save the company money by either offering a low settlement or even denying your claim entirely, which is why it is wise to hire an experienced attorney to ensure you obtain the compensation you deserve. 

If you have been injured in a car accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist in Arapahoe County, Denver County Jefferson County, Douglas County, or Adams County, contact the Law Office of Joseph A. Lazzara, P.C. today at (720) 809-8262 for a free initial consultation.