DUI Accidents & Personal Injury Claims in Colorado


Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal in all states and Colorado is no exception. According to the National College for DUI Defense, in Colorado, a driver is considered “under the influence” when their blood or breath alcohol content (BAC) is .08 percent or higher, however, a driver can be charged with DUI even if their BAC is less than the legal limit.

Colorado’s DUI law is not limited to alcohol; it is unlawful for people to drive while under the influence of illegal drugs, lawfully prescribed medications, or alcohol, or a combination of alcohol and drugs. Someone can be convicted of DUI in Colorado as long as the state can prove the person was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and it impaired their ability to drive, even to the slightest degree.

Hit By a Drunk or Drugged Driver?

If you were hit by a drunk or drugged driver, there’s a very good chance that law enforcement arrived on the scene and the at-fault driver was arrested and charged with DUI. If there is a pending criminal case against the impaired driver, you may be wondering about your rights. “Can I still file a personal injury claim if the drunk driver is facing DUI charges?” is a question a lot of DUI accident victims ask.

The answer to the above question is, “Yes, absolutely.” If you were injured in a drunk or drugged driving accident and the at-fault driver is currently facing criminal charges for breaking Colorado’s DUI law, there is nothing stopping you from filing a separate personal injury case against the impaired driver. It is okay to file a claim even though the defendant is being prosecuted for DUI.

“Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 50 minutes. These deaths have fallen by a third in the last three decades; however, drunk-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year. In 2010, the most recent year for which cost data is available, these deaths and damages contributed to a cost of $44 billion that year,” according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Next: Personal Injury Statute of Limitations in Colorado

Injured by a drunk or drugged driver? Contact my firm to file a claim for compensation!